Software Firms Brace for 'Spending Storm'
With yet more clouds gathering over the global economy, software firms are facing a "category 5 spending storm," according to analysts who lowered their estimates on some of the sector's key players Wednesday.
VMware, which was the darling of the tech sector when it completed its $1.7 billion IPO just over a year ago, now joins other firms scrambling for a share of the sluggish software market.
"Our September quarter-end checks indicate substantial spending weakness in markets around the world -- we don't expect the headwinds to abate until mid-2009," writes Egbert in a research note. "While domestic and some international government spending seems to be holding up, there are degrees of trepidation in nearly every vertical and geography."Because software licenses offer a recurring revenue stream, vendors have typically been less vulnerable to spending downturns than their hardware counterparts, although customers are now changing their buying habits. "Even the normally staid, recession-proof security sector seems to be taking on some water," writes Egbert. "Our checks with over 60
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV