Green Retrofits More Than Pay for Themselves
In Denver, Alliance for Sustainable Colorado exchanged the building's T-12 fluorescent lights for more energy-efficient T-8 fluorescent lamps and installed daylight sensors to regulate the amount of electricity used for lighting based on the amount of sunlight coming through the windows. To make the building's HVAC system more efficient, they digitized the controls and made them remotely accessible through the Internet. To cut water use, they replaced toilets and water fixtures with low-flow fixtures.
The results? The energy retrofit (including HVAC and controls) is cutting Alliance for Sustainable Colorado's power bill 8% annually. At a cost of $30,000, the project will pay itself back in five and a half years. The organization's $20,000 water retrofit has reduced water use by 90% a year and will pay itself back in four years. Finally, the $17,000 lighting retrofit is expected to break even in just 2 1/2 years.
Adobe Systems (ADBE), on the other hand, shelled out $1.4 million for a green retrofit of its San Jose, California, headquarters, according to Lockwood. Despite a 35% increase in staff, Adobe saw a 35% drop in electricity use, a 41% decline in natural gas use, a 22% reduction in domestic potable water consumption and a 76% reduction in landscape irrigation water use.So far, the retrofit has generated a 121% return on investment, and the average payback time for each project is just 9 ½ months. The company also received $389,000 in grants and equipment purchase rebates for installing energy-efficient technologies. Plus, the revamped building saves the company $1.2 million in utility costs per year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV