Green Retrofits More Than Pay for Themselves
Times are tough. Perhaps your company can't afford to build or relocate to a new LEED-certified building. But that doesn't mean you have to skip the green upgrade: Even retrofitting your workspace to meet LEED standards can lead to significant improvements in your company's image and bottom line, according to a recent survey by green real estate consultant Charles Lockwood and Deloitte.
In describing one company's motives for a green retrofit, a survey respondent said, "We wanted to make a statement, not only to the people who work for us, but also to the business community and the community in general: 'Hey look, there is a way to be economically responsible to your business and environmentally responsible to your community.' "
Indeed, all of the survey's 16 respondents reported an increase in goodwill and brand equity after implementing a green retrofit, which, as it happens, also results in annual utility cost savings of 10%.
But lower utility bills aren't the only way a green retrofit pays for itself: The healthier environment of a green building reduces employee absenteeism and illness, and increases worker retention. According to Lockwood, when Toyota (TM) moved into a LEED gold building, absenteeism dropped 14%. At PNC (PNC), staff turnover dropped by half compared with standard PNC buildings.Green buildings also increase employee productivity. For every 1% increase in productivity, employers save $600 to $700 per worker per year, according to Lockwood. On average, he says, employers find that productivity increases by 15% annually after a green retrofit.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV