Buffett Buys 10% Stake in Chinese Battery Maker
Written by Ucilia Wang
MidAmerican Energy Holdings Co., a subsidiary of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK.A), plans to invest about $230 million in BYD Co., a Chinese car and battery maker, the companies said Monday in Hong Kong.
Des Moines, Iowa-based MidAmerican has agreed to buy 225 million shares, which represent a 10-percent stake in the publicly-traded BYD [Hong Kong Stock Exchange ticker: 1211]. The company, founded in 1995 and based in Shenzhen, China, operates two divisions: information technology and automobiles.
BYD claims to be the world's largest maker of nickel and lithium-ion batteries for cell phones, counting Nokia (NOK), Motorola (MOT) and Samsung among its customers. The company also develops and makes other cell-phone parts.But MidAmerican's interest in BYD lies in the Chinese company's battery development for storing solar and wind power, said David Sokol at a press conference in Hong Kong (via Bloomberg). Lithium-ion batteries have become the energy storage of choice for some electric carmakers. Lithium-ion batteries can hold more juice than other types of car batteries today, but lithium-ion is much more expensive. BYD entered the car business in 2003 with the acquisition of the Tsinchuan Automobile Co. The company, which has been selling gasoline-powered cars, intends to build a plug-in hybrid electric car by the end of this year, the New York Times reported last month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV