Dividend.com: Citi to Cut Payout
Citigroup Buys Wachovia, Will Raise $10 Billion, Slashes Dividend
In light of Citigroup (C) buying Wachovia's (WB) banking subsidiaries, Citigroup is expecting to raise $10 billion in common equity and cut its quarterly dividend to 16 cents a share, effective immediately.
Following completion of the acquisition, Citigroup will have more than $600 billion in deposits in the U.S., about a 9.8% market share. Total deposits worldwide will be $1.3 trillion. Compare that to Japan's Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi USJ, which alone has $1.1 trillion in deposits. As of 2004, Japan had $5.3 trillion in deposits, which is slightly below what we have in the U.S. as of today.
For the record, the FDIC noted that Wachovia did not qualify as a "failed" bank, unlike Washington Mutual, which collapsed last Thursday, only to be subsequently purchased by JPMorgan Chase (JPM) buying .The banking consolidation continues, and we would avoid Citigroup at this point. The company will now have a dividend yield (based on today's cut) of 3.18%, based on Friday's closing stock price of $20.18. This huge dividend cut should serve as a reminder for investors out there: Watch out for high-yielding dividend traps in this market. In fact, we called Citigroup a dividend trap two weeks ago. Citigroup is not a recommended dividend stock at this time, holding a Dividend.com Rating of 3.0 out of 5 stars. Walgreen Reports Earnings Miss, Hits New 52-Week Low Walgreen (WAG) reported a 5-cent miss in its earnings per share today, as the company reported a revenue rise of 8.8% to $14.6 billion. Same-store sales rose 2.6%, while prescription sales rose 7.9%, which incidentally made up 66% of sales in the quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV