Wachovia, Citi in Merger Talks: Reports
Updated from 5:07 p.m. EDT
You can find more stories like this in our On the Brink series.
However, the talks are in very early stages, and no deal may come from the discussions, these people told the newspaper.The Wall Street Journal named even more potential merger partners for Wachovia, in addition to Citi, reporting that it's also holding talks with Banco Santander (STD) and Wells Fargo (WFC). Amid worries about its financial health, Wachovia saw its shares plunge nearly 40% during the trading session following the failure of Washington Mutual (WM) and the subsequent sale of its banking operations to JPMorgan Chase (JPM) late Thursday. Wachovia was reportedly in discussions last week with Morgan Stanley (MS) about a possible merger. Those talks apparently ended earlier this week after Morgan changed its status to a bank holding company and said that Mitsubishi UFJ (MTU) agreed to take a 20% stake in the firm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV