Wachovia, Citi in Merger Talks: Reports
Updated from 5:07 p.m. EDT
You can find more stories like this in our On the Brink series.
However, the talks are in very early stages, and no deal may come from the discussions, these people told the newspaper.The Wall Street Journal named even more potential merger partners for Wachovia, in addition to Citi, reporting that it's also holding talks with Banco Santander (STD) and Wells Fargo (WFC). Amid worries about its financial health, Wachovia saw its shares plunge nearly 40% during the trading session following the failure of Washington Mutual (WM) and the subsequent sale of its banking operations to JPMorgan Chase (JPM) late Thursday. Wachovia was reportedly in discussions last week with Morgan Stanley (MS) about a possible merger. Those talks apparently ended earlier this week after Morgan changed its status to a bank holding company and said that Mitsubishi UFJ (MTU) agreed to take a 20% stake in the firm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV