Airline Fees: You Hate 'Em, Stocks Don't
(Visit our Transportation page for more news on the airline sector.)
Combined with unprecedented capacity cuts, the new charges could help to turn the industry profitable in 2009. UAL (UAUA), for instance, says new fees will likely boost next year's revenue by $750 million. US Airways (LCC) expects a revenue gain of $400 million to $500 million.
"These fees do seem to work," Brad Tilden, CFO of Alaska (ALK) said at a Calyon-sponsored investor conference last week."A lot of times you see a $50 fare increase, then you look back at the end of the quarter and the average ticket price didn't go up at all," Tilden said. By contrast, he said, projected revenue from the fees actually materialize. US Airways President Scott Kirby said fees result not only in new revenue, but also in operational benefits. "We've seen huge improvement in baggage numbers from having 10% fewer bags go through the system," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV