Should You Buy It: AmerisourceBergen
AmerisourceBergen (ABC) is often overlooked as the middle-man in the pharmaceutical industry. The company is one of the largest drug wholesalers in North America, which is a business that carries razor- thin gross margins of only 4%. But what Amerisource lacks in profitability, it makes up for in volume, posting north of $66 billion of revenue last year.
The stock was upgraded Wednesday from Neutral to Buy at Merrill Lynch. The analyst cited the company's low valuation and solid price increases in branded drug pricing for the call. Still, Wall Street has a relatively cool outlook for the shares, with just four out of 13 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg rating AmerisourceBergen a Buy.
At Wednesday's closing price of $38.53, the stock is trading at 12 times expected fiscal 2009 (ending September) earnings of $3.21 This represents a 28% discount to the company's historical average valuation over the past decade, and marks the lowest multiple the stock has received in three years. With that in mind, I'm here to answer readers' questions: Should you buy it? Does AmerisourceBergen have the cure for investors' woes in this volatile environment?
The Right Active Ingredients
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV