Stock Futures Hint at Down Open for U.S.
Updated from 6:59 a.m. EDT
Premarket futures were hinting at a lower open for stocks on Wall Street Tuesday, as investors awaited further news on the government's historic bailout of the U.S. financial markets.
Futures for the S&P 500 were down 6.5 points at 1207 and were 1.8 points short of fair value. Nasdaq futures were lower by 3 points at 1667 and were 8.8 points below fair value.
On Monday, stocks suffered heavy losses as traders attempted to assess the impact of Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson's sweeping bailout of financial firms. Paulson's $700 billion plan would create a government institution to buy from banks the bad debt at the core of the credit crisis.Although the plan is a welcome boon to many investment firms with hard-to-value securities on their balance sheets, fear remains that the massive government-spending increase will drive up interest rates and weaken the dollar as new government debt floods the market. Later Tuesday, Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke are set to appear before the Senate to discuss the bailout plan. Meanwhile, brokerages Goldman Sachs (GS) and Morgan Stanley (MS) over the weekend agreed to become bank holding companies. Many have speculated about whether the big brokerages, following their transformation, will buy small regional banks to build a base of retail deposits. Following an $85 billion emergency loan from the Federal Reserve, insurance firm AIG (AIG) said it was preparing a list of properties it would sell as part of its effort to repay the government. As for corporate earnings, homebuilder Lennar (LEN) reported a fiscal third-quarter loss that narrowed year over year on sharply declining revenue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV