Walgreen May Launch Hostile Longs Bid
In a letter sent to the board of Longs on Monday, Walgreen disputed Longs' position that it's not willing to accept the regulatory risks in connection with an acquisition. Walgreen also said Longs should have no concern with its ability to finance the proposed transaction.
"Our proposal is compelling -- it would deliver superior value to Longs stockholders relative to the CVS transaction and can be consummated without undue delay," said the letter from Jeffrey Rein, Walgreen chairman and CEO.
In August, Longs agreed to sell itself to CVS Caremark (CVS) for about $2.9 billion, or $71.50 a share. The offer carried a sizable premium, but because Longs controls a valuable real estate portfolio -- and hasn't gotten the portfolio appraised -- its shareholders felt shortchanged. As a result, CVS managed to secure just 4.5% of Longs' stock by the time its first tender offer expired.Earlier this month, Walgreen offered to buy Longs for $75 a share, and also agreed to cover a breakup fee, equal to another $3 a share, if Longs would accept its proposal. But Longs has rebuffed the offer from Walgreen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV