Dividend.com: Longing for State Street
Our tip yesterday was focused on the adage of "never short a free-falling stock." I have seen cases throughout the years where stocks get halted, then the company reaffirms that everything is OK. Or maybe there was an old or mistaken news story that somehow got published -- remember the UAL bankruptcy post that caused a big drop a few days ago. In any event, when the stock re-opens, the pain in these cases is immense for the short-seller.
We focus on long-term ideas, but we know investors like the short-term stuff just as well. Therefore, we want to keep investors informed of any potential opportunity to make dollars with the stocks we cover.
This Is Not What a Real Bottom Looks Like
We are witnessing a plethora of mega-bailouts of companies like American International Group (AIG) and now even stock trading rule changes. This is not the solid foundation of a true bottom that we were hoping to see.
Don't get us wrong, we feel bad for people getting laid off as a result of this debacle. But it was the companies themselves that created the mess with their own style of doing business. The combination of greed and leverage is a recipe for disaster.
What makes a real bottom is when the top players see value at a certain price. Look at what happened with Constellation Energy (CEG) yesterday. Warren Buffett saw plenty of value left in company, and then pounced at the right price. You don't think Warren Buffett would have bought or invested in Lehman Brothers (LEH), Bear Stearns (BSC), or American International Group had there been value there?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV