Deathmatch: IRAs vs Annuities
The final analysis
The IRA is the winner -- with the qualification that every financial decision depends on your particular circumstances. The IRA's supremacy may be hard to believe at the moment, as your IRA likely has taken a beating in the past several weeks. But a few factors weigh heavily in these accounts' favor.
First, let's acknowledge that the guaranteed lifetime payments from an annuity can eliminate concerns about outliving your retirement funds. The high fees and limited investment options, however, can severely limit your savings' growth potential. For this reason, many advisers recommend investing in a variable annuity only after you have fully funded your 401(k) and IRA accounts.What's more, the solidity of your variable annuity depends entirely on the financial strength of the insurance carrier. The recent spate of failed financial institutions, not to mention insurance giant AIG (AIG), makes that an even bigger concern these days.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV