Deathmatch: IRAs vs Annuities
The final analysis
The IRA is the winner -- with the qualification that every financial decision depends on your particular circumstances. The IRA's supremacy may be hard to believe at the moment, as your IRA likely has taken a beating in the past several weeks. But a few factors weigh heavily in these accounts' favor.
First, let's acknowledge that the guaranteed lifetime payments from an annuity can eliminate concerns about outliving your retirement funds. The high fees and limited investment options, however, can severely limit your savings' growth potential. For this reason, many advisers recommend investing in a variable annuity only after you have fully funded your 401(k) and IRA accounts.What's more, the solidity of your variable annuity depends entirely on the financial strength of the insurance carrier. The recent spate of failed financial institutions, not to mention insurance giant AIG (AIG), makes that an even bigger concern these days.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV