Deathmatch: IRAs vs Annuities
If you pit two retirement-investment options against each other, which one earns the knockout?
Variable annuities boasted net assets of close to $1.5 trillion in 2007, according to the Insurance Information Institute. That figure pales in comparison to the staggering $4.75 trillion invested in IRAs last year, according to the Employee Benefit Research Institute .
There is a little wiggle room in the figures, however: Most of the growth in IRA assets comes from rollovers of other retirement accounts, such as 401(k) plans. Meanwhile, actual sales of variable annuities totaled $160.4 billion in 2007. The top sellers include major players like Hartford Life (HIG) ($5.1 billion), Pacific Life (ISIN) ($3.8 billion) and AXA (AXA) ($2.6 billion).
To ensure a fair fight, it's important to define the terms: A variable annuity is a contract with an insurance company that guarantees you either an immediate payout or a series of periodic payments from a specific date of your choosing until your death. IRAs, on the other hand, are tax-advantaged investment vehicles from which you can withdraw money to support yourself in retirement.Which one comes out ahead? Read on for a blow-by-blow account. Fees Most IRAs charge fees equivalent to about 0.7% of your account. Some, like Vanguard's Target Retirement 2040 Fund, are much cheaper, with an expense ratio of just 0.21%. Variable annuities, on the other hand, generally come with a laundry list of standard fees that can total more than 2% a year. They include annual administrative fees, surrender charges, an annual mortality and expense risk charge, and underlying fees and expenses from the mutual funds in which your annuity is invested.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV