Longs Sticking to CVS Merger Plan
Longs Drug Stores (LDG) must believe in love at first sight.
In fact, Longs spent just four days considering Walgreen's proposal before brushing the company aside.
"We're extremely skeptical that Longs' board gave Walgreen's offer anything like an appropriate review," says Richard Clayton, research director at CtW Investment Group, an activist organization that provides advisory services to union-backed pension funds. "So we're surprised and disappointed. ... We feel that the independent directors need to do a 'gut check' and decide whose interests they are going to serve."So far, Longs' board - which is chaired by CEO Warren Bryant - has wholeheartedly embraced CVS. Last month, in a deal that promised generous payouts to its top executives, Longs agreed to sell itself to CVS for roughly $2.9 billion, or $71.50 a share. Although the offer carried a sizable premium, it triggered considerable outrage: Because Longs controls a valuable real estate portfolio -- and has, so far, failed to get that portfolio appraised -- its shareholders feel shortchanged. As a result, CVS managed to secure just 4.5% of Longs' stock by the time its tender offer drew to a close. CVS needs to obtain a two-thirds of Longs' stock in order to prevail. This past weekend, however, CVS simply extended the deadline for its offer without actually raising its bid.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV