Washington Mutual Preps Itself for Sale
If Washington Mutual were to fail, it would be the largest collapse of a banking institution in U.S. history, the AP article said.
Over the past week, both Moody's Investor Services and Standard & Poor's downgraded the firm's long-term debt ratings to below investment grade or so-called junk status.
Despite the fact that WaMu's current condition has not changed materially, the downgrades could "curtail WaMu's ability to raise brokered deposits and the downgrade could limit the company's funding options for the intermediate to long term even if the near term impact is not material," according to CreditSights.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV