PC Makers Fight the Netbook Dilemma
"A lot of people have described the netbook as a notebook that gets returned," Baker says. "That's going to be the case for a little while."
Keeping customers happy will mean offering them an experience that is satisfactory and distinct from that of a full-fledged laptop, something PC makers are trying to do by tightening the link between the netbook and the Internet.
Dell has teamed up with Box.net, an online storage firm, to create a special service for owners of its Mini 9: the netbook includes 2GB of free online storage, expandable, for a fee, to 25GB.
European telecom firm Vodafone (VOD) has announced it will sell the Mini 9 directly at its stores with built-in broadband wireless connectivity. The company has yet to announce pricing, though the deal suggests that the Mini 9 may be available at a cheaper, subsidized price, similar to cell phone plans, when consumers sign-up for a service contract.PC vendors have toyed with subsidized plans before, with little success. The rules of the game may now have changed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV