PC Makers Fight the Netbook Dilemma
Dell did not return calls for comment.
One advantage that PC giants like H-P and Dell can harness in the netbook game is their considerable size, which allows them to drive down component and distribution costs, and could improve the profitability equation somewhat. And the significant brand awareness and marketing muscle that the top PC makers bring to the table means there's a potential to move particularly large volumes of netbooks, offsetting the lower profit margin.
Indeed, among the main targets for netbooks are consumers in developing nations who would never be able to afford a traditional PC. With so much of the world's population falling into that category, the potential market for netbooks is immense.
Most industry estimates for netbook shipments in 2008 range between 5 million and 8 million units, in an overall market for PCs and servers that research firm IDC reckons will total 311 million units this year.
CannibalsIn the meantime, there's a danger that netbooks could catch on as PC substitutes in markets like the U.S., offering consumers a bargain option when it comes time to replace an existing PC and, more importantly, robbing PC makers of more lucrative notebook sales. "For all intents and purposes they are a line extension of the notebook PC market at a very low price point. So there is going to be some cannibalization [of notebook PC sales]", says Gartner analyst Van Baker. That trend will eventually wear off as consumers learn the difference between the various products, Baker believes. But he notes that in the near term, PC makers may have to deal with increased product returns from disappointed consumers who didn't understand how limited netbook capabilities are compared to laptop PCs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV