WaMu CEO Could Cash In on a Sale
Editor's note: Our new "On the Brink" series will provide daily insight into the financial firms facing capital shortfalls and the growing pressure from short sellers in the market.
The American Banker reported Friday that JPMorgan is in "advanced discussions" to acquire the ailing Seattle thrift. The article said that "negotiations are ongoing at the highest levels of both companies," which includes JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon and Fishman.
While it was widely speculated that Washington Mutual brought Fishman in to replace WaMu's ousted longtime CEO Kerry Killinger to effect a sale, the company has not explicitly said so. But he certainly will be well rewarded if a deal is brokered, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing Thursday detailing Fishman's employment agreement.According to the filing, if Fishman is terminated without "cause" or if he resigns as a result of "constructive termination," the employment agreement also provides for him to receive a lump sum payment equal to 2.5 times then applicable annual base salary plus the annual bonus payment from the preceding year, in addition to certain options vesting. WaMu will also pay "certain tax gross-up payments" to Fishman if he is subject to "golden parachute excise taxes" related to a change in control, the filing says. A source familiar with the agreement says the term "constructive termination" is a standard provision in an executive employment agreement that says if a company were to either take away the CEO's authority, reduce his compensation, or move him away from Seattle, without his consent. A sale of the company could be one of several scenarios in which there is a "constructive termination" of a CEO, the source says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV