Health Winners & Losers: Bristol, ImClone
Biotech stocks made good water cooler talk Thursday as a few prospective merger stories opened to new chapters.
A day after ImClone (IMCL) announced that a mystery shopper has bid $70 a share for the company, Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) said it's standing by its own proposal. The company scorned ImClone for how the company handled and assessed the $60-a-share offer it made in July.
Bristol and ImClone appear to disagree on who owns the rights to a next-generation version of cancer drug Erbitux IMC-11F8 -- a crucial matter to both companies and any potential buyers.
Bristol shares were up $0.10, or 0.55%, at $21.80, while ImClone was down $0.98, or 1.44%, at $66.96.In other drama, King Pharmaceuticals (KG) increased its bid for pain drug company Alpharma (ALO), offering to purchase all of the outstanding shares of its Class A Common Stock for $37 a share, up from $33. King said that Alpharma has privately rejected this bid, and it is prepared to take it directly to shareholders. The new offer is a 67% premium to Alpharma's closing price on Aug. 4, the day of King's private written proposal to Alpharma, and a 54% premium over the closing price on Aug. 21, the last trading day before the public learned about the offer. Meanwhile, Alpharma issued a statement urging shareholders not to take action until it can announce its official position. The board said it would review the proposal with its financial and legal advisors and make a recommendation within 10 business days.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV