Ron Paul Dismisses McCain, Obama
Rep. Ron Paul (R., Texas) held a press conference Wednesday at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. to endorse several third-party candidates in attendance, including Ralph Nader (Independent), Cynthia McKinney (Green Party), Chuck Baldwin (Constitution Party) and Bob Barr (Libertarian Party).
Paul rejected supporting either Sen. John McCain (R., Ariz.) or Sen. Barack Obama (D., Ill.). He said:
"The strongest message can be sent by rejecting the two-party system, which in reality is a one-party system with no possible chance for the changes to occur which are necessary to solve our economic and foreign policy problems. This can be accomplished by voting for one of the non-establishment principled candidates -- Baldwin, Barr, McKinney, Nader, and possibly others."Paul has a third-party history himself. He ran unsuccessfully as a Libertarian in the 1988 presidential race.
In the 2008 Republican primary, Paul developed a devoted following through the Internet and public gatherings. His campaign raised an impressive $34 million. Although he never won a primary, he had a consistent following throughout.
Paul didn't disappear after pulling out of the race. He published a best-selling book, The Revolution: A Manifesto. Furthermore, Paul held his own political convention opposite the Republicans' convention in the Twin Cities last week that turned out thousands of supporters.Considering the polls, an NBC/Wall Street Journal had Obama leading McCain 46-45 Wednesday. Paul's endorsement could have an effect on the race. TheStreet.com has a revenue-sharing relationship with Amazon.com under which it receives a portion of the revenue from Amazon purchases by customers directed there from TheStreet.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV