BofA Reaches Auction-Rate Settlement
Bank of America (BAC) on Wednesday said it had reached an agreement with the Massachusetts Securities Division to buy back $4.5 billion in auction-rate securities from retail customers, the latest settlement in a wide-ranging state and federal probe.
BofA will buy back the securities from investors who purchased them after Feb. 11, when the market froze up. Regulators allege that many banks misrepresented the securities -- debt instruments whose interest rates are set in regular auctions -- in their marketing materials as safe, cash-like investments, but the market became illiquid after auctions failed in February. The deal affects 5,500 customers, BofA said.
The Charlotte, N.C., bank said it would continue to cooperate with ongoing probes by New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo and the Securities and Exchange Commission. BofA said it informed both parties of Wednesday's deal with Massachusetts.
BofA, like companies to settle before it, did not acknowledge any wrongdoing.Competitors like Citigroup (C), UBS (UBS), Wachovia (WB), Morgan Stanley (MS), JPMorgan Chase (JPM), Merrill Lynch (MER) and Goldman Sachs (GS) reached settlements last month. BofA shares recently were down 1.5% to $32.02.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV