Health Winners & Losers: Cardica
Health stocks fell Tuesday, but not quite so much as the broader markets.
The Nasdaq and Amex biotechnology indices were down 1.2% and 1.3%, respectively.
Bucking the trend, health stock Cardica (CRDC) got approval for its PAS-Port system for use in cardiac bypass surgery. Shares surged 25.8% to $10.05.
Biodel (BIOD) shares continued to fall for a second day on late-stage study results on its diabetes drug Viaject. The data varied considerably in one of the study sites. Shares were off by 13% to $5.Meanwhile, generic drugmaker Mylan (MYL) said Monday after the market's close that it will retain its specialty drug business Dey LP following a strategic review, but will relocate its commercial operations to the East Coast from Napa, Calif. Mylan reaffirmed its adjusted earnings outlook for the next three years. In a separate announcement, Mylan said it will offer $400 million in notes, due 2015, to institutional investors through a private offering to qualified buyers. The company said it will use the proceeds to pay down its credit security. Shares were off by 10.6% at $11.10. Merck (MRK) said Tuesday that a three-judge panel of the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals voted 2-1 to reinstate a consolidated securities class action suit. The suit was originally brought by investors in connection with disclosures regarding Vioxx, but had been dismissed by a federal district court in April 2007. Merck's shares were down by 3.2% to $34.34. Some of Merck's pharma peers were hit harder. King Pharmaceutical's (KG) shares gave up 5.4%, to $11.02. And Schering-Plough (SGP) fell 5.1% to $18.63.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV