Second Nevada Bank Fails
Silver State Bank of Henderson, Nev., was shuttered on Friday by the Nevada Financial Institutions Division, which cited "extremely unsafe and unsound practices and conditions."
The $2 billion bank was the second Nevada institution to fail this year, bringing the national total of bank and thrift failures to 11.
Silver State's insured deposits were acquired by Nevada State Bank of Las Vegas, which is held by Zions Bancorp (ZION).
TheStreet.com Ratings had assigned Silver State Bank of Henderson a financial strength rating of D (Weak) on the basis of first-quarter financial results.Uninsured deposits totaled about $20 million in 500 customer accounts. When a bank is closed down and the FDIC appointed receiver, customers with uninsured deposits become creditors to the receivership for the amount of their uninsured balances. After a failed institution's assets are disposed of, the uninsured depositors may receive partial or full payments called "dividends." Unlike depositors at several other banks that closed this year, Silver State's uninsured depositors received no advance dividends from the FDIC. The previous Nevada bank failure was First National Bank of Nevada, which was shuttered by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency on July 25. As with so many failed institutions this year, the main problem was an over-concentration in construction and development loans, which comprised 55% of Silver State's total assets as of June 30. For the second quarter, Silver State reported a net loss of $72.7 million and was considered below well-capitalized as of June 30, since its risk-based capital ratio dropped to 8.86%. This ratio needs to be at least 10% for a bank or thrift to be considered well-capitalized according to regulatory guidelines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV