Oil Rises as Hurricane Ike Threatens U.S.
Oil prices rose more than $2 a barrel Monday in Asia on expectations that Hurricane Ike will hit the Gulf of Mexico later in the week and threaten offshore oil facilities.
Light, sweet crude for October delivery rose $2.16 to $108.3 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. On Friday, oil settled at a five-month low of $106.23, down $1.66.
The National Hurricane Center reported early Monday that Hurricane Ike had hit Cuba with maximum sustained winds of as much as 120 mph.
Also helping to boost oil prices was a weaker dollar against the euro. The euro rose to $1.4310 from $1.4266 late Friday in New York. The dollar also rose to 108.85 yen from 107.72 Friday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV