Arthrocare Device Use Draws More Scrutiny
Kugler offered that information when being questioned in a deposition carried out by AllState two years ago. By now, Kugler has faced multiple courtroom challenges from car insurance companies that portray him as one of the most prevalent users of percutaneous discectomies -- with some of the highest prices -- in the country.
Kugler can thank CPT Code 63056 for some of his riches. Using that code, Kugler has picked up tens of thousands of dollars -- more than the listed price for brain surgery -- for minor operations that take no more than a half-hour of his time.
Notably, Arthrocare has promoted the use of that code in its own presentations. In documents obtained by TheStreet.com, Arthrocare's national sales trainer specifically states that she would "skim over 62287" -- the proper code for Perc-D surgeries -- and "focus on 63056" when marketing the company's SpineWands to physicians.
She talks at length about an outfit called DiscoCare as well.Jonathan Cutler, another physician at Palm Beach Lakes, launched DiscoCare a few years ago. The company supplies Arthrocare's SpineWands to surgery centers and then seeks reimbursement from insurers on their behalf. Since traditional health insurers consider percutaneous discectomties experimental -- and often refuse to pay for the procedures -- DiscoCare has focused on nontraditional payers instead. By concentrating on personal injury cases, in particular, DiscoCare has enjoyed phenomenal success. Arthrocare ultimately bought DiscoCare from Cutler for $25 million late last year. While that deal has since backfired, it sparked some grand plans at the time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV