Insider Action: Who Is an Insider?
When the U.S. Congress of 1934 legislated the Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) into existence to protect individual investors, it realized that corporate executives had an unfair advantage when trading their own companies' shares. But these politicians also realized that they could not ban such transactions.
Even then, shares were used as incentives for employees, and who would start a public company if they couldn't participate in its success?
In lieu of banning insider transactions, the U.S Congress dictated disclosure. If insiders did trade, they would have to fill out a "Form 4" and tell the world about it.
Of course, Congress needed to define who an "insider" is. The SEC obviously had to know who to police, and the people being watched over needed to know that they were now expected to play by new rules.According to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (the 1934 Act), an insider is an officer or director of a public company, or an individual or entity owning 10% or more of any class of a company's shares. Basically, the definition of an insider is intended to cover the people who have the most knowledge of the inner workings and future prospects of a publicly traded company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV