Tootsie Roll Could Melt Like Hershey
Updated from 6:59 a.m. EDT
By Stockpickr Staff Columnist Peter Winkler
Recently, Hershey (HSY) disclosed to the public that its profit will take a hit as a result of rising prices for cocoa and corn sweeteners. The chocolate giant, which makes chocolate bars and Reese's Cups, among other items, announced that it would increase prices by 10% in an effort to compensate for this spike in underlying commodity prices. And despite this, the company announced that its 2008 and 2009 sales and profit targets would still come in at the lower end of street expectations.
On that news, Hershey stock took a hit.With that in mind, I decided to take a quick look at another stable chocolate company, which is likely to see the same headwinds that Hershey is currently facing: Tootsie Roll (TR). Everyone knows these guys -- the company has been in business since the early 1800s. However, by all accounts and valuation metrics, Tootsie is poised to follow in Hershey's footsteps. To read more, please click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV