Jim Cramer's 'Stop Trading!': Nab Nabors
Erin Burnett and Jim Cramer started Tuesday's "Stop Trading!" on CNBC by discussing the newly released FDIC list of 117 financial institutions having problems.
Since it's a list of numbers and doesn't mention the names of the banks, Cramer offered his own list of banking institutions that he thinks could follow in the footsteps of IndyMac (IDMC). The banks he fears are in deep financial trouble are Downey Financial (DSL), Corus Bankshares (CORS) and BankUnited Financial (BKUNA).
Each of these banks, he said, "is going to swear up and down that they're in good shape," but he's "just looking at nonperformers" and finding the banks that "look like Indymac." So when they inevitably come after him and say it's his fault, he's going to say, "'Guys, you are fabulous! You're simply fabulous!'"
Moving on, Cramer said that "people want to play the hurricane." But he said he thinks it's too risky, because there is a possibility that Huricane Gustav might not hit the Gulf Coast. Instead, he suggests that investors consider buying Halliburton (HAL) and Nabors Industries (NBR).If you take a look at what the XTO Energys (XTO) and the Anadarkos (APC) are doing, Cramer said, you'll "realize that there is a tremendous amount of oil service business." He said it's difficult to say which is a better stock to own, Halliburton or Nabors, but in the end he thinks they both are Buys.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV