These Home-Heating Options Go Beyond Oil
Of course, switching to natural gas or propane requires a new boiler or furnace. An efficient wall-mounted natural gas or propane boiler will cost about $10,000.
While switching to natural gas might pay off, remember that, like oil, natural gas is a limited resource, and when supply is tight, prices can spike.
Wood-pellet boilers are a relatively new method of home heating. Wood pellets are made from whole round wood or wood-manufacturing byproducts, for instance sawdust. Heating a home that typically uses 1,000 gallons of oil would take approximately eight tons of pellets, costing a little more than $2,000.The carbon footprint of a wood pellet boiler isn't yet known, but it is much lower than that of any fossil fuel-based system. Wood-pellet boilers are pricey, running about $14,500 for a full system. However, one dealer of wood-pellet boilers says the system will pay for itself in a little more than six years. While wood is a renewable resource, it is not infinite. As a result, the price of wood pellets may vary with demand. There's one more catch: Wood-pellet boilers are growing in popularity, and many regions face shortages of both pellets and pellet boilers. Electric Boiler An electric boiler will cost about $2,000, plus installation expenses. Electric boilers have been around for a while. They're considered to be between 95% and 100% efficient, but because of the high price of electricity, they're not particularly popular. It would cost more than $7,000 to heat your home using an electric furnace or boiler (assuming a cost of $0.167/kwh). But here's the real kicker: Because most of the electricity in this country comes from coal, an electric system would spew more than 54,000 pounds of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV