How Fast Are 3G Phones, Really?
3G phones have the capability of doing great things at data speeds approaching those of home Internet connections. At least, that's how cell-phone companies want you to think.
Using that same thought process though, any and every child born in this country has a chance of someday becoming president.
In both cases, these goals are possible, but not necessarily probable.
Now that all four of the major U.S. cell-phone companies have, or are in the process of rolling out high-speed cellular data networks (EV-DO in the case of Verizon (VZ) and Sprint (S) or UMTS/HSDPA from AT&T (T) and T-Mobile), it's time to take a look at just how fast these networks allow data to flow.EV-DO (Evolution-Data Optimized) works on CDMA and TDMA networks. In its latest form, called Rev. A, it is capable of data speeds approaching 3.1 Mbit/s. UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunication System) and HSDPA (High Speed Download Packet Access) are the preferred high-speed systems for GSM-based networks. On paper, UMTS/HSDPA systems can support down-link speeds up to 14.4 Mbit/s. In the future, HSPA+ systems might provide as much as 42 Mbit/s downlinks. All of these numbers from each of these systems are the extreme upper limits. What that really translates to is if you're outdoors, in a very secluded area, with no one around for miles -- and your phone has perfect "line-of-sight" connectivity to the transmit/receive cell and you a fully charged battery -- then, maybe (if the weather is just right and the wind is blowing in a favorable direction) you could, possibly, begin to approach these upper speed limits.
|Don't Miss How Fast Are 4G Phones?|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV