Index Funds That Can Beat the S&P 500
For investors in taxable accounts, the most likely way to beat the benchmark may be with (VMCAX)Vanguard Tax-Managed Capital Appreciation, which topped the S&P by a percentage point after taxes during the past decade.
Vanguard Tax-Managed tracks the Russell 1000, a close competitor of the S&P 500. But the Vanguard fund is not technically an index fund. The portfolio managers deviate slightly from their benchmark, using a variety of techniques to lower tax bills. For example, the fund sometimes sells downtrodden stocks, booking the losses, which can be used to offset taxable capital gains. The result is a fund that closely mimics its index while dodging the taxman.
By owning the tax-managed portfolio, shareholders should end up with more money in their pockets than if they had purchased a conventional S&P 500 fund.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV