Index Funds That Can Beat the S&P 500
Investors in S&P 500 index funds have faced discouraging times.
During the decade ending on July 31, the index produced a meager annual return of 2.91%, according to Morningstar. Plenty of stock and bond funds did better than that. Critics have piled on, claiming that the S&P has become outdated. As evidence, the doubters point to a variety of index funds that have outpaced the S&P 500 in recent years.
Can the competing indexes continue trouncing the S&P by wide margins? Not necessarily. But there are a handful of index funds that seem likely to outdo the S&P over the long term.
Among the most promising are funds tracking a cousin of the S&P 500, the S&P 500 equal-weight index. For the past 18 years, the equal-weight benchmark has outdone its more famous S&P relative by 3 percentage points annually. To track the index, investors who pay loads can use (VADAX) Morgan Stanley Equally-Weighted S&P 500 . A low-cost alternative is Rydex S&P Equal Weight (RSP), an exchange-traded fund.The return advantage can be traced to the way that the equal-weighted index is constructed. As the name suggests, each of the 500 stocks in an equal-weight portfolio accounts for about the same percentage of the index. When a stock enters the index, it accounts for 0.20% of assets. If the shares skyrocket, the weighting of the stock can rise to 0.22% or so. But S&P keeps the holdings in line by rebalancing periodically, trimming some shares of overweighted stocks and shifting to underweighted names. Because of rebalancing, the index constantly dumps shares of high-priced winners and allocates more assets to cheap losers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV