H-P Beats the Street
SAN FRANCISCO -- Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) outpaced Wall Street's third-quarter earnings estimates Tuesday.
Shares of H-P were recently up 2.9% to $44.96 in recent after-hours trading.
Net income for the quarter grew 14% to $2 billion, or 80 cents a share, from $1.8 billion, or 66 cents a share, in the year-ago period.
Excluding special charges, EPS was 86 cents. Analysts were looking for 83 cents.Revenue at the Palo Alto, Calif., tech company rose 10% to $28 billion, from $25.4 billion for the same quarter of last year. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were expecting $27.4 billion. For the fourth quarter, H-P projected revenue of $30.2 billion to $30.3 billion and EPS, less items, from $1.01 to $1.03. Analysts were expecting revenue of $30.2 billion and earnings, less items, of $1 a share. The guidance doesn't reflect the impact of H-P's impending purchase of Electronic Data Systems (EDS). On the hardware side, H-P competes with Dell (DELL) and Lenovo. H-P's recent move to acquire EDS puts the company more squarely in competition with IBM (IBM) and other services-oriented firms.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV