For Abbott, Diversity Remains Paramount
Early research said they did a better job than uncoated stents. But recent clinical trial data shows "unclear benefits" of drug-coated stents vs. uncoated stents and other cardiac treatments, says a Morningstar report.
As a result, the drug-coated stent market was hit hard, and The New York Times reported last year that U.S. sales dropped by nearly 40% in 2007. Morningstar's Conover says the business is starting to stabilize. Based on clinical trial data, "Xience can gain a good chunk of the market, even though the pie is smaller," he says.
Abbott, which began marketing Xience V in Europe almost two years ago, also is competing at home and abroad with an identical stent from Boston Scientific. The Promus stent was approved by the FDA in July.Xience was developed by Guidant, but when Boston Scientific acquired this device-maker, Abbott bought Guidant's vascular products business to help the deal to pass U.S. antitrust review. Abbott also stopped work on a homegrown stent, Zomaxx, because Xience was better.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV