For Abbott, Diversity Remains Paramount
Twelve of 15 analysts polled by Thomson Reuters have buy ratings on Abbott. However, fans and critics alike wonder if Abbott can sustain the torrid overseas growth-rates for drugs and nutritional products when the U.S. dollar strengthens. About half of drug and nutritional-product revenue comes from foreign markets.
Because Abbott's research pipeline isn't as broad as its peers, any R&D or regulatory setback could have a disproportionate effect, says Conover.
Citigroup's Matthew Dodds advocates selling shares, complaining that Abbott has strayed from the balanced portfolio of the mid- to late-1990s and arguing that company growth forecasts appear too optimistic.
Abbott's revenue was once spread fairly evenly among drugs, nutritional products and hospital products, Dodds says in a July 16 report. But acquisitions in 2001 and 2006 plus the 2004 spinoff that formed Hospira (HSP) have changed Abbott."We believe an increased focus on pharmaceuticals has increased Abbott's risk profile," says Dodds, whose firm has had a recent investment banking relationship. By his count, 80% of operating profit comes from drugs. Dodds, who doesn't own shares, says the stock could fall to $50 in 12 months. He says the current price doesn't support his 2009 earnings-per-share prediction of $3.42. The Thomson Reuters consensus is $3.66. Based on second-quarter data, drugs account for 56% of corporate revenue and nutritional products represent 17%. Diagnostics, vascular products and other products, primarily diabetes care, are the other specialties. In early 2007, Abbott agreed to sell most of its diagnostics business to General Electric (GE), but they cancelled the deal later that year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV