Tread Carefully in Bank-Heavy U.K. Funds
The U.K. might be the most comfortable foreign country for U.S. investors.
But like the U.S., the U.K. has had to endure market cycles that investors should be wary of.
The current global slowdown started in the financial sector. The distorted yield curve warned well in advance that trouble was coming, and anyone heeding that warning has missed some of this pain.
The yield curve inverts every so often, and for my money, that signals trouble. When this occurs I want to reduce financial exposure, which requires looking under the hood of any broad-based products you own.Consider iShares UK Index Fund (EWU). EWU currently has a 23% weight to financials, down from 29%, according to my best estimate. U.K. banks have generally felt the same pain as those in the U.S., creating a big drag in the U.K. market. This is not unusual given that many markets have a large weighting in financials, a drawback for many country funds. Given the heavy weighting in financials, EWU has become a less than ideal way for investors to access the U.K. Just as in the U.S., staples and health care are often good places to overweight in a bear market decline. For example, see the chart below of EWU against GlaxoSmithkline (GSK) (GSK).
|Click here for larger image.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV