Tech Winners & Losers: Electronic Arts
Tech stocks were flat, outperforming the broader market, as investors grappled with bad news from financial firms and their impact on the economy.
Video-game publisher Electronic Arts (ERTS) added 98 cents, or 2.1%, to $48.50 following a report by Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia that initial checks show sales growth of the company's newly released Madden NFL 09 game is up by the "low-single-digits" from a year ago. That's see as a positive trend because pre-orders for the game were down from the year before. EA had disclosed weaker-than-expected pre-orders during the company's earnings report last month, but didn't reveal how much they were down.
AMD (AMD) gained 14 cents, or 2.7%, to $5.25 after introduced its latest ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 graphics card. The company billed it as the "world's fastest" graphics card.
Apple (AAPL) continued to remain strong and was up $4.51, or 2.6%, to $178.07. CEO Steve Jobs said Monday that the company's online iPhone applications store has sold more than 60 million programs and could become a $1 billion business. At its current rate, the store will make $360 million in a year, said Jobs.Shares of Nuance Communications (NUAN) were down $1.19, or 6.6%, to $16.70 after it reported higher loss for the third quarter. At the same time, the company raised its outlook for full-year EPS. For the third quarter, Nuance reported a revenue increase of 46% to $229.2 million, including $12.5 million in acquisition-related writedowns. Analysts were expecting a top line of $232.3 million. Excluding special items, EPS was 22 cents, a penny better than analysts' expectations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV