Make Big Money With These Currency Stocks
Updated from 7:59 a.m. EDT
Forbes magazine has turned up some of the most-innovative investments.
As an example, many, many years ago, before Apple Computer (AAPL) became public, there was an article in Forbes about how a publicly traded closed-end venture capital fund called the Nautilus Fund happened to be an early stage investor in Apple Computer and owned lots of the company's shares. You could have bought shares in Nautilus, and when Apple went public, Nautilus distributed the proportionate shares of Apple to each investor (which could have been you).
Another recent article in Forbes was on the subject of CurrencyShares. You may have stumbled upon these investments eventually, but Forbes was the first place we saw a reference to them.CurrencyShares are exchange-traded funds set up as trusts to track various currencies. So if you think a currency is going to go up in relation to the dollar, you don't have to buy a foreign exchange contract or go to a bank or foreign exchange office and buy large amounts of currency. Instead, you can buy shares in one of the CurrencyShares, which trade on the New York Stock Exchange, just like a stock. If you think the currency is going in the other direction in relation to the dollar, you have a couple of options (no pun intended). You can either short the CurrencyShares or you can buy puts on the trust shares. For the CurrencyShares that are currently available, which track such currencies as the Australian dollar and the Japanese yen, please click here.
A note from James Altucher: Every weekend I send an email to Jim Cramer and several hedge fund managers about the most interesting portfolios posted on Stockpickr that week. Usually those portfolios not only list stocks according to a theme but also offer significant analysis as to why the stocks are cheap. Here are some examples:
- Stocks related to drilling the Marcellus Shale
- MLPS with yields above 7%
- Microcaps trading for less than tangible book
- Stocks that do well after Hurricanes
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV