Tech Winners & Losers: Intel
Tech stocks were mostly down Thursday along with the major market indices though semiconductor chip stocks showed some strength.
Intel (INTC) added 90 cents, or 3.9%, to $23.70. An analyst at Citigroup said field checks in Japan suggest that orders for Intel's Atom chip is running ahead of expectations.
Based on the field checks, Intel's "relatively aggressive" 8.8% third- quarter revenue growth guidance seems "more achievable," said analyst Glen Yeung in a research note.
Intel rival AMD (AMD) was also up 28 cents, or 5.8%, to $5.08.Micron Technology (MU) was up 18 cents, or 3.6%, to $5.16. The company hosted an analyst day Tuesday that provided a "generally positive" update, said Oppenheimer analyst Daniel Morris in a note. He has an outperform rating and a $9 price target on the stock. VeriSign (VRSN) plunged $5.16, or 15.2%, to $28.70 following its second-quarter results. VeriSign reported higher losses in the second quarter in part because of restructuring-related charges. It reported net loss of $68 million, or 35 cents a share, including a $92 million non-cash impairment charge and restructuring charges of $98 million. That compares with a net loss of $4.7 million, or 2 cents a share the year before. VeriSign also said the weak credit market and economy has taken a toll on the company's attempts to divest its non-core businesses. An analyst at Oppenheimer downgraded the stock to perform from outperform after the release of the results. Shares of Sirius XM Radio (SIRI) were down 4 cents, or 2.4%, to $1.41 after it reported pre-merger second-quarter results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV