The Perfect Stock for the Obesity Trend
Updated from 11:10 a.m. EDT
Obesity has steadily become a national nightmare in the U.S. and is on its way to becoming a global epidemic. For the first time in hundreds of years, the average lifespan could actually begin to decrease because of the effects of obesity.
Here are some basic numbers:
- Two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese.
- Roughly 60 million Americans are considered obese.
- Within 50 years, obesity will likely shorten the average lifespan of Americans -- 77.6 years -- by at least two to five years.
- Some 3.8 million Americans weigh over 300 pounds.
- The prevalence of obesity among children has quadrupled in the past 25 years.
A note from James Altucher: Every weekend I send an email to Jim Cramer and several hedge fund managers about the most interesting portfolios posted on Stockpickr that week. Usually those portfolios not only list stocks according to a theme but also offer significant analysis as to why the stocks are cheap. Here are some examples:
- Stocks related to drilling the Marcellus Shale
- MLPS with yields above 7%
- Microcaps trading for less than tangible book
- Stocks that do well after Hurricanes
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV