Bill Miller Fired by State Pension Plan
Massachusetts' $50.6 billion state pension fund fired five money managers on Wednesday, including the Legg Mason (LM) fund overseen by investment guru Bill Miller, due to poor performance.
The fund's board approved the transfer of about $1.4 billion from the firms -- including Legg Mason Capital Management, Ariel Investments, NWQ, Mazama Capital Management and Gardner Lewis -- into State Street Global Advisors, which is run by State Street (STT), according to news reports. State Street will link the assets to the Russell 3000 index portfolio.
Another $400,000 will be transferred to a fund-of-hedge-funds portfolio. The board also approved a $300 million inflation-linked bonds mandate to BlackRock (BLK).
The pension fund report cited "inconsistent performance" and a "high level of tracking error" as reasons for the asset shift. Legg Mason's fund has posted particularly weak results due to its investments in the struggling financial sector.Get your daily dose of Jim Cramer and all the stocks in his head. Sign up for the free Daily Booyah! newsletter by clicking here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV