VeriSign's Losses Widen
SAN FRANCISCO --- Digital infrastructure services company VeriSign (VRSN) reported higher losses in the second quarter in part because of restructuring-related charges.
The company posted net loss of $68 million, or 35 cents a share, that included a $92 million non-cash impairment charge and restructuring charges of $98 million. That compares with a net loss of $4.7 million, or 2 cents a share the year before.
Excluding charges, it reported net income of $49.8 million, or earnings of 25 cents a share, beating analysts' estimates by 2 cents.
Revenue rose to $303 million from $258.9 million a year ago. The company reported revenue from core operations of $233 million. On that basis, analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were expecting revenue of $231.4 million.Shares of VeriSign were down 47 cents, or 1.4%, to $33.41. Revenue from the company's core business -- Internet infrastructure and identity services --was up 21% from a year ago to $233 million. VeriSign naming services division ended the second quarter with 87.3 million active domain names in the .com and .net areas, for a 20% increase from a year ago, said the company. Non-core businesses for VeriSign delivered $70 million of revenue in the second quarter and revenue from discontinued operations was $89 million. The company saw its SSL security services end the quarter with 1,056,000 SSL certificates in the installed base, up 14% from a year ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV