Got $1K to Invest? Think Asset Allocation
If you've got $1,000 you're just itching to invest, I have two words for you: asset allocation.
Instead of immediately earmarking your cash for a specific purpose, it might be best to take a step back first and look at where you've got your money already.
Here's why: depending on your age and your risk tolerance, you might be best served to put that money to use in a certain place -- such as stocks, bonds or cash -- where you don't have as much money as you probably should.
That's where asset allocation comes in, because it's the concept of making sure your money is spread out among different types of investments that balance risk and reward in the way that's right for you.Your own particular allocation will vary, mostly by age; if you're 25, you have a much longer time horizon in which to make up losses from risky investments (like if you would have invested in former high-fliers like Krispy Kreme (KKD) or Crocs (CROX) before their stock prices tumbled precipitously) than you do if you're 75. Cramer: Crocs Is Over (Video, Aug. 6) To watch the video, click the player below:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV