How to Average-In: Tempur-Pedic, InFocus, Disney
This was originally published on RealMoney. It is being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
I had a question from a reader last week that intrigued me all weekend. He felt that if his time horizon is 20 years or longer, shouldn't he be averaging into the market right now?
I contemplated this over the weekend as I sat poolside with the new George Pelecanos novel (for fans of crime fiction who have not read him, do so now -- he is the master of the art) and enjoying an unusual warm, low-humidity weekend. The answer I came up with is yes, if you have that long a time horizon, I probably would advise that strategy.
I have two caveats to this. One, as Warren Buffett once remarked, if you cannot stand a 50% drawdown, do not invest in the stock market. The second caveat is that rolling 10- and 20-year terms that include the start of a recession will have much lower than average stock market returns. History tells us you will have a positive return over a 20-year investment in the stock market. It does not guarantee that it will be a great return or that you will not experience significant drawdowns.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV