Rackable Systems Misses Estimates
SAN FRANCISCO -- Rackable Systems (RACK) posted a deeper-than-expected loss in the second quarter, as component shortages and price discounts the company made to win a contract, weighed on results.
The Freemont, Calif., computer maker had sales of $76 million in the second quarter, in line with analyst estimates, and down from $82 million at this time last year.
Rackable also re-affirmed its sales outlook for the full fiscal 2008 year, noting that its new products and trends among its Internet customers bode well for the second half of the year.
But the company's gross profit margin took a significant step backward in the second quarter, falling to 9.2% vs. 23.5% in the first quarter. The culprit: unspecified component shortages, which drove up Rackable's cost of goods sold, as well as an unspecified new contract."The company won an important opportunity at lower pricing, which we believe will put us in an advantageous position for more profitable, long term opportunities," the company said in a statement. Shares of Rackable were off 12%, or $1.95, at $11.05 in extended trading Monday. Rackable, which makes servers used by corporations and other large organizations, competes with tech giants including IBM (IBM), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and Dell (DELL). Rackable listed a new contract with the U.S. federal government, as well as new business in Japan, among the second quarter's business highlights, although it did not specify whether the deals were related to the price discounts. Rackable said it lost $27.9 million, or 95 cents a share, in the three months ended June 28, compared with a loss of $40.4 million, or $1.42 a share, at this time last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV