Kass: 10 Rumors on Wall Street
This blog post originally appeared on RealMoney Silver on Aug. 4 at 8:09 a.m. EDT.
1. Another large spate of job cutbacks could be announced by Citigroup (C).
2. Apple (AAPL) will allegedly announce a problem with its batteries, one that is so serious that the company is considering a massive product recall. Additionally, it is rumored that AT&T (T) will be awarded another year to be the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.S. and that Apple will be refreshing its notebook line in time for the back-to-school season.
3. Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) could be in the process of making a transformative acquisition in the wobbly financial sector. Several large banks, which are targeting Middle Eastern and Chinese Sovereign Funds, are queuing up for capital raises -- some of which could be announced as early as this week.4. Two homebuilding takeovers will allegedly be announced in the next several weeks, the acquired companies will likely be two merchant builders that are on "death's doorstep." The buyers are the better capitalized homebuilders. 5. Microsoft (MSFT) is over Yahoo! (YHOO) - but has an appetite for Opera, the Norwegian browser vendor, as well as a number of other small to medium-sized deals. In other rumored technology deals: IBM (IBM) is eyeing Citrix (CTXS), and Cisco (CSCO) might be looking at EMC (EMC). 6. Goldman Sachs (GS) is considering a bank acquisition, but the target isn't Wachovia (WB). Lehman Brothers (LEH) is in serious talks to spin off a portion of Neuberger Berman. 7. The backlog of M&A deals has expanded in recent weeks -- particularly of a strategic kind. 8. Nvidia (NVDA) is allegedly going to drop its chipset business to focus on graphics processing units. 9. Virginia representative Eric Cantor is now on the short list to be Senator McCain's running mate. Senator Obama's top pick is allegedly another Virginian, Governor Tim Kaine. 10. Two major hedge funds will be closing their doors at year-end. Doug Kass writes daily for RealMoney Silver , a premium bundle service from TheStreet.com. For a free trial to RealMoney Silver and exclusive access to Mr. Kass' daily trading diary, please click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV