Florida Closes First Priority Bank
First Priority Bank of Bradenton, Fla., was closed late Friday by the state Commissioner of Financial Regulation, after the bank announced earlier in the day that it was critically undercapitalized.
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation was named receiver, and arranged a purchase and assumption agreement with SunTrust (STI). The failed institution's six branches will reopen Monday as branches of SunTrust Bank, which has assumed First Priority's $214 million in insured deposits.
First Priority had total assets of $259 million as of June 30. Uninsured deposits totaled approximately $13 million.
In most bank failures, depositors become creditors to the receivership for the amount any uninsured funds. These creditors then receive "dividends" when the FDIC disposes of the failed institution's assets. First Priority's uninsured depositors will receive payment early next week for 50% of their uninsured balances.First Priority topped TheStreet.com's list of Florida's Most Troubled Banks and Thrifts, published in early May, since the institution had a very high level of problem loans and was considered undercapitalized per regulatory guidelines. TheStreet.com Ratings downgraded the institution's financial strength rating to E- (Very Weak) on June 20, after downgrading to E from D- (Weak) in March. The privately-held institution's second-quarter net loss of $9.4 million wiped out most of its remaining capital. As of June 30, First Priority's leverage ratio was 0.70% and its risk-based capital ratio was just 1.72%. These ratios need to be at least 5% and 10% for a bank or S&L to be considered well capitalized under regulatory guidelines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV