A Portfolio for Those Who Just Give Up
iShares Lehman Brothers TIPS Bond Fund (TIP) -- 20%.
If you believe deflation is a big threat, or cannot forgive what certainly seems like the government's understating of inflation, this fund is not for you.
Over its history, it has been a fairly boring hold (which is the desired effect), paying out a variable stream of income to shareholders. The income varies because the consumer price index varies, and there have been months where there have been no payments.
The payout is comprised of the actual coupon payment plus the inflation adjustment (verified with a call to iShares). If you believe inflation (understated though it may be) will head higher then the payout from the fund should increase but it does change from month to month.To be clear: the "I Give Up" portfolio is no substitute for a diversified portfolio for people who have normal tolerances for volatility -- but not everyone has a tolerance for the ups and downs of the stock market. This mix covers several bases with a reasonably long track record of decent returns with low volatility. Anyone interested in pursuing this type of approach will lag the market when it is up a lot, and should plan on increasing their savings rate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV