Microsoft Unfazed by Windows Mobile Flop
Even though Microsoft fell short of its highly publicized brag that it would sell 20 million Windows Mobile software licenses in the past year, the company was able to put a good spin on things.
Microsoft wrote to me to say that it was "excited to announce that Windows Mobile had yet another year of high growth, closing out the fiscal year by nearly doubling the overall expansion of the market."
In particular, Microsoft says that despite the recent hubbub over the release of the iPhone 3G, that cellphones based on the Microsoft mobile operating system are still doing very well."IDC expects Windows Mobile phones to continue to outsell iPhones in both consumer and enterprise shipments, and by 2012, Windows Mobile is expected to double sales over the iPhone in the consumer space, and have nearly nine times the amount of enterprise deployments." With the new iPhone 3G being able to connect to Microsoft Exchange servers, allowing users to keep track of e-mail, contacts and appointments, I wonder whether those numbers can and will be challenged in the future. And that doesn't take into account any of the new phones rumored to be released in the next few months possibly including a Google (GOOG)/Android phone, a Garmin (GRMN) nuviphone and, of course, a bunch of new Research In Motion (RIMM) Blackberrys. Microsoft ticked off the following points in today's news release:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV