Biotech Stocks Burn Higher on M&A Fire
The biotech sector is burning with buyout fever as investors seek out the next takeout target.
Bristol-Myers Squibb's (BMY) $60-a-share takeover offer for ImClone Systems (IMCL) Thursday is just the latest in what appears to be a large ramp in mergers and acquisitions among biotech and big drug companies.
And naturally, deals beget more deals, or at least Wall Street chatter about the possibility of more deals, which invariably leads to sector rallies.
Summer is typically the slow season for biotech. Not this year, for sure. Roche seeking to acquire Genentech (DNA), and now the Bristol-Myers/ImClone deal has set the biotech sector on a raging boil.The iShares Nasdaq Biotech ETF (IBB) is up 11% for the year after a 14% rally in July. The Amex Biotech Index is up 10% year to date, helped mightily by a 15% surge in July. Who else might enter the M&A wheelhouse? The trend seems to be partners getting hitched. Here's a list of biotech-biotech and biotech-Big Pharma partnerships, compiled on the fly Thursday by Deutsche Bank analyst Mark Schoenebaum:
- Eli Lilly (LLY) and Amylin Pharmaceuticals (AMLN) (Byetta)
- Genentech and OSI Pharmaceuticals (OSIP) (Tarceva)
- Biogen Idec (BIIB) and Genentech (Rituxan)
- Genzyme (GENZ) and Biomarin (BMRN) (Aldurazyme)
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX) and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) (telaprevir)
- Human Genome Sciences (HGSI) and Novartis (NVS) (albuferon and lymphostat)
- Sanofi-Aventis (SNY) and Regeneron (REGN) (Veg-F Trap)
- Bayer and Onyx Pharmaceuticals (ONXX) (Nexavar)
- Novartis and Idenix Pharmaceuticals (IDIX) (various drugs)
- Novartis and Momenta Pharmaceuticals (MNTA) (enoxaparin)
- Takeda and Affymax (AFFY) (hematide)
- Astellas and Cardiome (CRME) (vernakalant)
- Wyeth (WYE) and Progenics (PGNX) (Relistor)
- GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and Adolor (ADLR) (Entereg)
- GlaxoSmithKline and Theravance (THRX) (beyond Advair)
- GlaxoSmithKline and Xenoport (XNPT)
- Bristol-Myers and Medarex (MEDX)
- Wyeth and Elan (ELN)
Come see Adam Feuerstein at the Money Show in San Francisco. Adam will be speaking to attendees on Friday, Aug. 8, at 2:15 p.m. ("Biotech Investing for Individuals: How to Turn Geeky Science Into Fat Profits"); on a lunch panel on Saturday, Aug. 9, at 12:35 p.m. ("Tech and Biotech: Picks and Pans for 2008 and Beyond"); and on Sunday, Aug. 10, at 8 a.m. ("Biotech Investing for Individuals: How to Turn Geeky Science Into Fat Profits").
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV